Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering 9-11 & running with the chikins...

9-11-01
Most, if not all of us, are thinking where we were 9-11-01. I was sitting at my desk in the purchasing dept of the Tennessee Correction Academy calling everyone I knew or so it seemed. That week I feel like we all went numb, I know I did. I pray this country never has to go through something like that ever again. I guess that's why I love NYC so much. Those people are tough, resilient, & they're fighters. I do not know how they did it. You just never know how strong you are until you are tested that is for sure.  That could have happened anywhere but it happened in one of the busiest places in the world. The gate to the U.S.

RunChikinRun 10k-Murfreesboro Greenway
I'll start with my excuses....yeah, it was my first race COMPLETELY healed from the dreaded crack. It's still anyone's guess if my IT Band issues are under control but I can tell I really need to stretch after this mornings race.  I parked what seemed like a mile away from the packet pick up so I got in a little warm up when I arrived & boy was I sweating. That's never a good thing BEFORE a race.  Luckily I went to the bathroom first before packet pick up. Personally, I think they needed more portapotties but that's just me. I had to go back to the car & come back so I know I was ready to roll once we headed to the start line. Kim C. found me & said "Hi".  I ran into Diana B. & talked to her briefly. I looked at my watch & it said 7:02am. We were supposed to start at 7:00am but they wanted us to watch 4 guys in chicken suits run a 100 yard dash first. I'm thinking to myself, do that at 6:45am or do it AFTER the race. It was heating up!   I started with the 10 min mile people. They had people trying to corral us which was smart. I think it really helped get everyone lined up according to their levels.  When we took off, I started my garmin & hoped I'd keep it slow.  It felt fairly easy & there were so many folks around me, it's not like I could take off anyway. We got to the first mile marker. (8:32)  Oh shit, I need to slow it down.  Mile 2 came & I was at an even 17:00. I didn't really look again until we were about to the 5k area. (26:something)  By mile 4, I could feel the toll of it setting in... The humidity was awful & I thought about how nice it would have been if we had last Saturday's weather. Oh well, I walked through two water stations after mile 4. They had plenty of water stations, which was a good thing!!  I ran with a paper towel in my hand knowing full well I'd have to spit quite a bit around miles 3-4-5. Believe me, it came in handy. The ragweed is killing me right now.  A tissue would have been mush by mile 4 but the towel held up fine.  I dug down deep when I realized I would definitely be under 57 minutes.  I didn't leave anything out there that's for sure.  This wasn't going to be a personal worst for sure.  (55:43)  Considering the weather & that it's pretty much a flat course, I will take that!  I squeaked an 8:59 pace somehow.  It sure felt good to be in a race again!  I remembered the spin class buddies talking about it last year & I wanted to do it so bad.  GREAT door prizes & food! 

Next race...ummm, we'll see how training goes....maybe Halloween Hunt 5 miler....it's cheap, I know the course, etc...

Happy weekend!

No comments: