I was told I have a mild to moderate case of plantar fasciitis. The doc gave me what I needed & it appears to be working. Now I have to work on my patience. I really like this doc, he's not "shot happy" like the other one that everyone loves so much. I personally don't believe in getting the cortizone shots. That's a temporary fix. Get to the root of the problem, which is usually strengthening something, (the "glutes" for me). I'm also considering switching to a more supported shoe until it's completely gone. My long run shoes are 880 New Balance & they weight 11 ounces. I'm going to try to find a replacement that weighs around that much to get my feet through the training. Am I worried? Yes, but I tell myself that the worst that can happen is that I do the half again in Indy (smash my half PR) & then save it all for the CIM in December. I'm choosing to be positive about this situation. I am pretty proud of myself for being able to complete that hilly, hot as hell 10k course with a wonky heel. Who am I running some sub 8 miles on a hot morning on hills in a race & not feeling 100%? ;-) I know that speed work has paid off. I grew to love pushing myself on that Ravenwood track because I felt awesome & developed a sense of accomplishment to finish it every Monday night. Until this year, I had never done any "regular" speed work at all. I'm currently reading the "Hanson's Marathon Method" book that talks about how runners get "stale" in their paces & don't seem to improve. That was me. Speed work can change that. As summer starts to fade away, I'm pretty stoked about the running that I've done so far.
Tuesday, I did a complete "rest" day. Been a very long time since I've not done ONE SINGLE little work out. Wednesday, I did the bike at the gym for 40 mins, IT Band exercises, & some time on the elliptical along with P90x ab ripper. Today, I'm walking to the gym to do pretty much the same exercises but adding more glute strengthening. Friday, I'll very likely do ab ripper & some stretching. Saturday morning I'm doing as the doc says....7 flat miles. If that goes well, I'll get out Sunday for 4 or 5 flat miles. I'm on volaren for 10 days & much like any other anti-inflammatory, you can't take it before exercise so I have to make sure I take it right after I'm finished. If next week goes well, I'll do my 20 miler on Sept 14th. I've still got plenty of time to get all the training runs in & still hit my goal. The thing with marathon training, you have to be flexible with the schedule in case something comes up & having a week or two leeway is always a nice thing.
1 comment:
Glad you got what you needed from the doc! I feel the same way about cortisone shots...I opted to not go that route with my hip and I seem to be okay now. :-) Hope you can have some happy running now!
Post a Comment