I did the free “Women & Wine Winery ride” this past Saturday in Arrington. It was free but I’m going to complain about the 20 min late start in the heat anyway. It would have been a little better on me personally if it had started at least 2 hours earlier. I was dying a slow death in the heat. I’m used to being on my bike on Saturday mornings by 6:30-7:00am. (Not 10:20am in this hot August heat) The course was not as flat as I would have liked but I tried to get into the correct gear, stand, etc...to get up those damn hills. I dropped my chain once on one hill & then there was another hill where I got off & pushed my bike for roughly 5 - 6 minutes. It was brutal. I ended up taking a migraine pill when I got home. The water/heed stop at mile 16 was quite welcomed because my 2 bottles needed to be filled up again. For some odd reason, I got my 2nd wind on the last 7 miles & kicked it in….I wanted to get to a shower! I never stopped my garmin the entire time & it read 2:17:33 when I got off at the car. (Total Mileage 31.3) There was some confusion out on the course about whether to go to Arno Rd or go straight. (The GREEN arrow was straight). I followed the green arrow along with a few others & the photo taking car guys came after us to tell us to turn around. By that time, a lot of others had caught up & everyone was confused. I took off like I was going to begin with before they stopped us. I wasn’t about to argue with them in that heat. I’m thinking maybe the cue sheets were correct & the road was marked wrong or vice versa. No big deal! I’m just glad it wasn’t longer than the expected 32. Did I say it was hot?!
As for running, paranoid me had my shin X ray’d Monday morning just to be sure I’m not “re-cracking” it. It’s A-OK!! Dr. Holmes said there was definitely an improvement over April’s X ray, too. The sore/swollen area on the side of the right calf is just from the weak ankle that I turned off the front porch in May ‘09. He assured me that I will get it stronger with time & some strength exercises. I am ready to increase the miles. I’ve been averaging only 12 a week. It’s time! Last week I finally saw an “8” on my garmin for 3.18 miles. (8:58 pace) It’s been a VERY long time since I’ve seen “8”s on my garmin. Even though I don’t have the 5k race PR showing it, I used to do 3 mi training runs squeaking the pace just under 8 min miles. (Actually, I think I have one 5k race showing a 7:58 pace) This morning I did 5 mi at a 9:18 pace & that’s with several 30-40 sec walk breaks to bring down the heart rate. So far that’s the longest run before work this year for sure. I’m hoping to get a 6 miler in soon before work. I’m just so glad to be running again!!!!
I’m totally into the Janet Evanovich books right now.
I read “One for the Money” and LOVED IT! I was told they would have you laughing out loud. So true! I can’t wait for the movie next year with Katherine Heigl in the lead role.
As for other things……
I have a cockatiel bird story to write about but I’ll keep it short. “Rocky” (mom’s bird) survived the great outdoors thanks to her neighbors who had a yard sale this past Saturday. Mom’s got dementia & other issues going on these days. She’s in the hospital right now so we’re all hoping for the best. She let her bird out to seek a “better life”. He somehow ended up at the neighbor’s yard sale. The neighbors returned him to dad. So, Rocky’s living with Dad for the time being. Thank you God for taking care of that bird!
Our wedding in Las Vegas during the ½ marathon is pretty much planned.
We have more folks coming than I thought would show & others looking into it. December is just around the corner…As usual, I’m ready for this hellish hot summer to end & Fall to begin…let the leaves turn & crunch under my feet. It’s time for some cooler weather & football in the air!
1 comment:
I am glad you came to the ride. Yes, it should've started earlier...I think the delay was a marketing effort for the winery though. Was nice to see you Ms. strong biker and runner!! Maybe in the fall we can run a park tour race together...that would be fun to get back to trying to catch you as it's a sure think you're WAY faster than me right now!
And, CONGRATS on the wedding!! I want to be there...but not sure it's going to fit with my new gig. Will keep you posted though!
Post a Comment