Sunday, October 14, 2012

Murfreesboro Middle Half Spectating Report

I woke up & apparently I was hit by a stupid stick.  I drove to the starting line thinking that Steve K. was taking the official NRC participant pic there & then going to mile 4.  Turns out they were already at mile 4.  Rather than move my car, I asked someone the fastest way to get to mile 4 from the track.  Long story short I ended up walking/jogging about 3 miles to mile 4....in jeans!  LOL!  I shook my cowbell for well over an hour & ended up taking the skin off a small area on my middle finger. OUCH!  Saw some Manchester peeps I hadn't seen in a long while, saw all our NRC club folks, David H. & "Old Man".  We had a great time spectating.  We moved to the track area to cheer everyone as they rounded the corner of the track to the finish line.  A lot of folks got PRs & our little "secret weapon" from the Rutherford Relay not only won her age bracket but she beat a 15 yr old TN state record for 12 yr olds!!  Amazing!  She ran a 1:42:17 in her first 1/2.  (She's the one who bought my bike.)  We are all so proud of her!!

When we parked to walk to the track area, we parked near the Belle Aire Apts.  I lived there in the late 80's when I went to MTSU.  I hadn't seen them since I moved out in 1989!  After I left the track, I drove to the square to grab a bite to eat at "City Cafe".  I hadn't been in there since 1989!  Kinda funny!  Probably the unhealthiest breakfast I've had in a very long time but it was quick & easy.  I did more bargain hunting at Bink's on the square & got another Christmas present.  I then drove the short distance to Fabulous Finds consignment store.  Got a ton of COOL things cheap!  All I really need for Fall/Winter are a few pairs of pants.  Guess I'll have to suck it up & go to Opry Mills.  (not a fan of malls or shopping...)

Early this morning before everyone got up I walked/jogged 4.33 miles & did all my weight machines at the gym.  I kept it easy & slow at a 10:50 pace & walked the hills. I plan to do more stretching & ab ripper later on before we head to the Owsley's baby shower. 

One week later after the Chicago marathon, I feel pretty good.  I would say about 99% of the soreness is gone.  My IT Band still feels a little tight but rolling it & stretching it sure does help.  My goal next week is to do short runs.  I hope to do the 6 mile route with Joe Wednesday night with the club.  If it goes well, I'll attempt 7-8 miles next Saturday morning with the club.  I'm pretty excited about the fast, flat, half marathon in Indy on Nov 3rd!!  ;-)   It really makes a difference with post-marathon blues when you have something planned far enough out that you know you could do fairly well.  My goal is to beat my 1/2 marathon time I had in the middle of the Chicago marathon.  I was under 1:56 in Chicago at the half way point.  ;-)  My stretch goal is to PR, which would be under 1:51:25.  Who knows....it's our "one month early" anniversary celebration that weekend so we plan to have fun.  Going to the Colts-Dolphins game on Sunday, Nov 4th, at Lucas Oil.  Go Colts!!

Hope everyone has had a GREAT weekend!

2 comments:

Old Man said...

1989 the year #1 son was born. ouch.
Always thought this race would be great for spectators, walking or riding a bike.

TX Runner Mom said...

Glad you are recovering well from Chicago. I love spectating almost as much as racing...so fun!