Jo Ann, Pam, Tandy, Russ, & I got over to the Ravenwood track about 6:10pm & got down to business.
I really think the first 800 that I do is always a "warm up" & I'm ok with that. The first one is always one of the slowest. I would make myself hold back on the first loop around the track & then I would start slowly reeling them in as we headed around the end of the track on the 2nd loop. My goal was to stay well under 3:55 but not burn my legs out by the 6th or 7th 800. I felt great the entire time. I'm really proud of the 3:26 I did on the 10th 800 because I still felt like I could do another one. Speed work is essentially over for me during this training cycle. I think the rest of the crew may be coming back for two more weeks of it after the Franklin Classic on Labor Day. I'm going to focus more on longer tempo runs. I will really miss my Monday night speed work buddies!
1.06 mi warm up-10:34
10 X 800s (with 60 to 90 seconds rest in between each one)
3:52, 3:36, 3:41, 3:43, 3:42, 3:40, 3:43, 3:35, 3:51, 3:26
1.06 mi cool down-10:07
The 800s above average out to be about a 3:44. If you believe in & trust the "Yasso 800s" prediction, I should be able to run a marathon around a 3:44-ish. I will believe it when I do it. Ha! Honestly, I have to believe that all these consecutive weeks that I've done these 800s on very tired legs will help me on Nov 2nd. This may be the missing piece to this puzzle of missing a sub 3:55 by a few minutes. I have to delay the stress on my legs & the stress on my tummy. I'm still working on eating things that don't upset my tummy. The 2nd long run in the heat with the dates seems to prove that I should stick with them. The key is to get plenty of rest the two nights before these long runs so that my body isn't missing the caffeine jolt it was getting from the gus. So, that's still an ongoing experiment at this time.
Today I'm going to spin my legs out on a bike at the gym for a little while before I join the Wild Wings group run. I'm only running around 3 very slow miles today as recovery. I'm still undecided as to how hard & long I want to run tomorrow. I'm thinking a progression run in the morning & a tempo in the afternoon….maybe 10 for the day…. I can't believe that I'm almost 2 months away from my 13th marathon.
No comments:
Post a Comment