Monday, August 19, 2013

Recovery & "conservative" speed work

Yesterday I took it easy...jogged 2 miles round trip to the gym at roughly an 11 & a half minute pace, did my weights, & rode a bike for 40 minutes.  I have taken 2 ice baths in the last two days & worn my CW-X compression tights for approximately 8 hours over the weekend.  I feel great & I am looking forward to "speed work" tonight.  Have you ever got into the habit of doing something every week & you're already dreading the fact that's it is going to end soon?
Meaning...I am going to actually miss my speed work friends on Monday nights when this ends.  True, I'll still see most, if not all of them on Monday's (in the dark soon) but it's been an adventure, it's been "playtime" in a new environment.  It's been fun!  Yes, apparently, I've crossed over to the dark side where "speed work" is fun. Who am I?

So the plan for today:
Ab ripper P90X this morning before work
1 mile warm up, then 9 X 800s with about a 1-2 minute rest in between, then another 1 mile cool down

I'm going ahead with the plan to do 9 X 800s & the plan is to start out slow.  Meaning I'm going to be ok with it if my first 1-2 are 3:55-4:00 but the rest better stay below 3:55.  I've not had any trouble at all even in the heat keeping them around the 3:35-3:45 range so this "experiment" should help me practice "holding back" a little but pushing at the end.  Make sense?  It should to someone who's missed a goal twice by literally a few minutes this year. 

Next Monday on the 26th, I plan to do 10 X 800's.  We'll be running the Franklin Classic 10k the following Monday on Labor Day.  The Monday after Labor Day, I hope to do a one mile time trial back at the school to compare it to the one I did 2 days after the Franklin Half.  It should without a doubt be faster than the 6:54 mile I did that night.  (What was I thinking doing a time trial 2 days after a hilly ass half marathon? doh!)

No comments: