I declared friday, "Good Carb Friday" because I ate GOOD carbs to ready myself for the 22 miler in the morning. This doesn't mean I'm overeating, doesn't mean it's tons of sugar, it means grains, beans, rice, spaghetti, & tomato sauce...potassium rich sauce. ;-) I have reaffirmed my love of bagels lately, too. I have to laugh when I hear folks talking bad about carbs. These are the same folks that have done the low carb diet, weight watchers, & jenny craig. I've never known anyone that did those diets & kept the weight off long term. It's simple, calories in....calories burned & it's up to you to choose the "right" calories.
Bottom line Good carbs mean ENERGY. Bad carbs (CANDY) just mean more sugar & crap in your body. Candy Carbs will give you a sugar high that you'll crash hard from quickly & then you end up craving even more of it. Bagels or oatmeal carbs stay with you, keep your engine running longer... I've never been a big junk eater but for the last year I've really watched what I put in my mouth & it's made so much of a difference in how I feel, how I run, & of course my weight. I weighed 111.4 lbs this morning & it's a STRONG 111.4 lbs. I know I shouldn't put this out there but two different women called me "ripped" recently & well, I have to agree! My self confidence got a huge & much needed boost. It's been almost a year since I started myfitnesspal & it will be a year in May since I started back at the gym strength training.
No matter what my time is on Feb 24th in good ole Nawlin's at least I know I've done everything I can to get healthy & train for the goal. I want to arrive there with absolutely nothing to worry about but the weather. I've not skimped on my "week day" or "weekend" runs. So many folks neglect one or the other & then fall short of their goal or end up injured.
I will be forever grateful to my husband for helping me train. He's not just running around or near me on training runs, he's carried my bottles, food, & kept me on pace. That makes a huge difference. The folks that have run with us over the last couple of months & even before Chicago have really pushed us & supported us. We'll have Jayson L. & his fiance' Diana, Lauren R. & her husband, Richard, & Roy T. & his wife, Darlene with us in New Orleans. All from our run club. It'll be a fun, quick trip & then we'll decide on our next goal.
We've already started researching for London! ;-)
This morning we met Traci at the Ramada next to LP field. We did just over a mile around the stadium right before she got there. We then took off with her back around LP & headed into Shelby park. It's mostly flat with the exception of the "mile 11 hill" of the Tom King half. It's not a huge hill but after 18 miles I sure felt it coming out of the park this morning. This used to be a hill you did in the country music marathon around mile 22-23. Ugh!
The wooden bridges were icy in Shelby park so I walked over each & every one & thank God they're not big bridges!
We got started about 7:00am & it was around 30 degrees. I wish I could bring this weather to New Orleans Feb 24th!
22 miles - 8:58 pace - 3:17:24 overall time
Mile 1: 9:12
Mile 2: 9:44 (picked up Traci at her car & Joe was putting on fuel belts)
Mile 3: 8:55
Mile 4: 8:52 (first gu)
Mile 5: 8:58
Mile 6: 8:53
Mile 7: 8:51
Mile 8: 8:44 (second gu)
Mile 9: 8:47
Mile 10: 9:00 (making myself drink & eat)
Mile 11: 8:58
Mile 12: 8:43 (third gu)
Mile 13: 9:17 (jogging back 'n forth after Traci left & Joe filled bottles)
Mile 14: 9:09
Mile 15: 9:22 (don't know what I was doing, probably eating fourth gu)
Mile 16: 8:50
Mile 17: 8:57
Mile 18: 8:55
Mile 19: 9:09 (took 5th & final gu)
Mile 20: 8:54
Mile 21: 8:41
Mile 22: 8:22 (thank goodness we are done)
I walked about a quarter mile to cool down & then I laid down in pigeon pose to get the hips stretched out.
Happy long run day folks!
No comments:
Post a Comment