Wednesday, January 9, 2013

TR 2: easy "fun" run

Yesterday, I did P90X ab ripper, stretched, & did IT Band exercises. I also jogged one mile with reflective gear, keys, & my phone in my hand to the front of our 'hood to get picked up by Lorena for the ride over to Tin Roof 2. That was an 11 minute pace so I wouldn't drop anything. LOL! A pretty sizeable group decided to head over to the Tin Roof 2 group run & crash it. Apparently the Country Music marathon sponsors provided free food, if I understand that right. I had no idea about that until we were done with the run. So, we helped ourselves to free dinner & hung out a bit.

I took off with the NRC folks that had met over at TR2. We had probably 10-15 of us there & we pretty much all started & ran together. Since I had done some speed work on Monday, I knew I needed an easy run. We kept it conversational & had one young, fast gal, named Vivian (I think?) join us. She told us her ½ PR is a 1:35, which got her into the NYC marathon this year on her time rather then her trying to get in on lottery. Of course, we tried to talk her into joining our group on Wednesday nights. A mile into the run, Joe & Scott hit a weird spot in the sidewalk. Scott went down hard enough to skin the side of his knee & a finger. He finished the run just fine, though. We also had a Japanese couple on bikes that we kept annoying because there were so many of us & we were getting in each others way. I ended up with 5.11 miles at a 9:26 pace & was glad to be done. I don't like running over there at all at night with the traffic & having to stop at lights so I know I won't be back. Just way too congested & dangerous for my taste…

So, overall I think I had 6.11 miles at a 9:41 pace when I logged it into dailymile. We have a dailymile challenge going on to see who has the most miles by the end of the year. I don't expect to win it. I know what my number 1 goal is for this year & that's my focus. For the record, I had 1,380 miles for 2012. I know not all were good quality miles but that's what I'm shooting for in 2013. "Quality" over "Quantity" will keep you uninjured & make you faster. At least that's what appears to be working for me. The jury is still out & I'll let you know after Feb 24th. ;-)

Tonight, we're running with the club a flat tempo run of 6 miles. Not sure what the pace will end up being but I know it should be faster than last weeks hilly tempo run.
 
I'm actually pretty excited about Saturday's 20 miler.  There's going to be an overnight low of only 54-55 degrees so this will good for us to test our "plan" in case New Orleans is around that temp at the start. (Gosh, I hope it's COLDER than that!)  Traci B. & Wayne P. have already confirmed they'll be joining us.   

No comments: