Thursday, February 7, 2013

NRC "unsanctioned chase"

We have a funny, brilliant, sweet Canadian/Brit couple in our run club. I had the pleasure of meeting them early last summer the first night they joined us for a Wed night run.  Wayne J. suggesed the club put on an "unsanctioned chase" race per a Pearl Izumi ad  he saw on the internet. He had to set up a "race" & invite us to join.  He needed 50 runners/walkers to get free stuff to hand out.  We ended up with about 80 people there. We held a raffle & Joe won a pair of shoes & I won an "Uncle Bud's" gift card.  We all had little bib stickers, cones were set out marking the course (no roads were closed), & we had volunteers.  It turned out great even though the "winner" fell on a storm grate in the dark & bloodied his knees & Steve K. fell (for the 2nd time in a week).
Our youngest runner was 5 yrs old & he finished in under 45 minutes.  So cool!  ;-)

I wasn't going all out, of course, plus I arrived there without a garmin. doh!
I ran 2 easy miles with David D. to warm up & then we actually got started running about a half hour later.  Normally, I wouldn't want a half hour in between my warm up & a 5k race but this was just a for fun deal.
I started in the 3rd wave, which was anywhere from an 8:00-9:00 pace, I think...
I started easy keeping my mind on the road & on my foot strike.
I sped up during mile 2 & finished maybe 20 or so seconds ahead of Amy K. who was pacing Andrea K.  If I heard correctly they finished in 25:18-ish.  So, I'm guessing I was just barely under 25 minutes.  Pretty good considering I've not done speed work in over 2 weeks & I was keeping my "injury" in check.  No issues whatsoever....It felt awesome to blow the dust off my legs!

So, I ended up with around 5.25 miles yesterday.
Today, I'm doing the bike for 45 minutes, some IT Band exercises, & lot of stretching. 
Tomorrow will be just ab ripper & some stretching.
I have a massage scheduled every friday from now till Feb 22nd.
All bases are covered so hopefully there will be zero issues with my body come race day morning.
It's going to be so exciting to see Lauren R. go sub-2 hrs in the half marathon & witness Jayson L. finishing his first marathon in New Orleans.  He's got a sub 4 hour in him for sure. 


1 comment:

Old Man said...

Looking forward to hearing good things from New Orleans.

Sad to see I'm not the only one who can't run without falling.