Tuesday, April 16, 2013

26.2 different emotions yesterday.....

After multitasking yesterday, tracking about 10 runners in Boston from our run club & working….
I'm pretty much speechless. One of the spectators that died was an 8 year old boy waiting on his dad to finish the marathon. His sister lost a leg & his mom has some brain damage.
Two men standing near this boy & his family (brothers) each lost a leg. 

I really hope the responsible parties involved with this horrific incident are found. I think a lot of us are still in shock. The Nolensville Run club had around 10 runners there. (Two of them re-qualified for Boston 2014.) Thank God, all of them are safe & will be home soon. We have so much to celebrate & we've not even made it to Carmel, Indiana yet. All I know is that obtaining my Boston Qualifying time for me now means something more.
 
I had people calling, texting, etc…all the way up till this morning wondering if we were in Boston. I even had text messages from folks that aren't saved in my phone. LOL! Joe qualified for the 2014 Boston marathon in Chicago last Fall so next year is our year to go.
Yesterday, I met up with Jo Ann, Matt, & Blake at 5pm for 5 really warm, easy miles. I need to make sure I take my little hand held for now on. When I noticed that my overall pace was 9:11, I sort of shivered.
 
Our club met at the town hall at about 6:30. Two news stations were already there waiting. I still had our signs we made on Sunday for our Boston runners for our facebook page in my trunk. So, Adam M. & I held up the biggest one with all the Boston NRC runners names on it. I don't have a picture of it or I would post it here. Little did we know when we made it that it would end up on the 10 o'clock news a day later. (See link above for the video)
 
I am so proud to be a part of this group. I didn't really become a regular until maybe 15 months ago when I was training in the winter with another group on Saturdays. I would run with that group then go eat breakfast with the Nolensville group. Over the last year & half we've all grown close, especially the "core" group that shows up at every single run or event we plan. I can honestly say I think of them as "family" now.
 
The rest of the week, I have nothing but a slow, flat 4 miler, yoga, & P90X ab ripper going on… I still have packing to do, which shouldn't take that long. I'm so very excited & blessed to able to do this again…8 weeks later. What I didn't do in New Orleans, I pray I do in Carmel. Only my body knows what it is capable of on Saturday morning but I know what my heart wants & that's a battle I'm going to let them fight.
 
This is the last post until post – Carmel, Indiana marathon becomes my 12th marathon. I hope to have a race report done after we get back on Sunday & before I go to bed.



1 comment:

Michelle @ www.movinitwithmichelle.com said...

keep us posted. So glad to hear you are ok, and good luck on your upcoming marathon!