Sunday, November 6, 2011

Joe did GREAT & I sucked...

Me: 4:50:44
Joe: 3:38:06

By about 19-20 miles, the IT Band decided to take an early plane back to Tennessee.
Honestly, I felt pretty decent up until that point. I thought I hydrated well enough but around mile 22, I actually felt my left toes cramping up. WTH?  I had chewed on shot bloks, drank water & gatorade at nearly every single mile.  There were several water stops I walked through. 
Lord knows I didn't expect much since it started acting up about 3 weeks or so weeks ago but damn, 4:50?!
The worst I expect was around 4:40, but I didn't know what to expect to be perfectly honest.  I had a 21 miler at a 9:55 pace & a 20 miler at a 10:07 pace & then the IT Band issues slowed me...to a screaching halt, apparently.  When I hit the half way mark, I thought to myself, this is ok, it's where I need to be but guess I should have dialed it back. One thing's for sure, I sure didn't mean to run the sub-10 minute miles early on. The garmin wasn't reading those. I thought I was running around a 9:50-10:10 pace early on but apparently that wasn't the case looking at the splits. I felt like I was crawling early on....
Oh and don't get me started on the sun in my eyes the last 6 miles straight. I had on sunglasses but couldn't see much of squat going on around me. Eh well, that damn 4:17:11 from that hot ass, hilly ass Country Music Marathon from 2006 is going to haunt me like a bad dream forever. ha!

I'll give a better race report when I'm in a better mood....  ;-P

4 comments:

I Am Woody said...

Whatever your time, I am proud of you!!!

junieb said...

I wont try and console you because I know how much I dont like that (and it doesnt help), but we never know what we will get dealt on race day and you know that. You stayed in the game and finished and that is ALL that matters. Good job!

Old Man said...

The shin held up.

Lisa said...

Thanks, Woody & Junie.

That shin is so strong now it's not even funny, Old Man. ;-P