Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Stretching & Breathing

In the book I'm reading, "The Art of Running faster" by Julian Goater & Don Melvin, I read the chapters on stretching & breathing today.  There was only one version of a stretch that I've never done. It's the hurdler's stretch using a wall or table. I do the version where you sit on the floor. 
The "breathing" chapter says to try to do your steady runs while inhaling for 3 steps & exhaling for 3 steps for as long as you can maintain it.  It's called controlled breathing & it's what all good swimmers learn to do well.  Something to think about anyway.... So, now I am going to count my steps as I inhale/exhale, envision my legs/feet pedaling, & I'm going to try a new version of a stretch I've been doing for years.  Eh, can't hurt...

This morning I did Jillian Michael's yoga work out #2, the one with the "crow" move that I'll never be able to do with both feet up. You need balance, not just strength.  I can get one foot up & that's it.  Been doing this move for years now.  This afternoon, I'm doing ab ripper P90X & Jillian Michael's Shred.  The IT Band is going to get a good stretch tonight too because tomorrow is my favorite run day.  "2 a day Wednesday".  ;-P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am NOT allowed to bend over like that pic in the stretch, come to find out it's terrible for your spine. I wish I could balance on my elbows like that.