Saturday, September 15, 2012

22 mile training run....my longest & fastest ever...

Until today, I've never run a training run longer than 21 miles & that was last year.  Last years 21 miler was at a 9:55 pace. This years 22 miler was at a 9:45 pace. It felt slower than that so I'm surprised.  I'm just glad it is over & we can taper.  I was just not feeling the love much this morning & it took me a while to come alive & wake up.  It had been a long week.  I'm hoping to get some really good, long sleep tonight.  We met Cheryl & Jonathon at about 4:30am-ish.  We had to drop fluids at Ravenwood High School then meet them at the Y.  I ran just over 2 miles with them.  We picked up Tracie & Danielle at 5am at the Y.  I will say one thing, it will be very nice not to have to wear a fuel belt, reflective gear, & a head lamp (around my waist) in Chicago.  In other words, I'll be running a little bit lighter.  We had wanted to run in Shelby but it seemed like everyone had to be somewhere fast after the run, hence, the 4:30am start time.  Parents with kids in sports on Saturdays...marathon training can be done...where there's a will, there's a way to get the long runs done.   I salute you all that accomplish this goal! Needless to say, we didn't run a "pancake flat" 22 miler like we had planned but we'll live.  Crockett is mostly flat but we ran a lot of different neighborhoods that weren't & over near Ravenwood High...that hill just makes me crazy.  When I walked up it, I already had 16.5 miles on my legs.  Not fun!  I took quite a few short walk breaks on most of the hills so I'm A OK with the 9:45 pace.  The key for me will be to not get distracted in Chicago & forget to take in fuel.  You can pretty much tell by my pace when I was taking in hammer gel endurolyte pills, shot bloks, & drinking water/powerade.  I'm not sure about the humidity but my iPhone said 66 degrees when we left the house.  It felt a little cooler than that when we started.  I could feel the temp go down a bit an hour later.  I was soaked to the bone in sweat when we finished but it wasn't anywhere near as bad two weeks ago.

22 miles: Overall time 3:34:44  Overall pace 9:45

Mile 1: 10:20
Mile 2: 10:49 (head lamp fell apart & we're scrambling looking for my batteries)
Mile 3: 10:42 (putting head lamp back together...laugh with me!)
Mile 4: 9:43
Mile 5: 9:21
Mile 6: 10:11 (fueling)
Mile 7: 9:19 (finally finding my groove)
Mile 8: 8:39
Mile 9: 9:01
Mile 10: 9:17
Mile 11: 9:48(fueling)
Mile 12: 9:24
Mile 13: 10:23 (filled up water bottles & guzzled powerade at the high school)
Mile 14: 9:37
Mile 15: 10:11(fueling)
Mile 16: 9:24
Mile 17: 10:41(fueling)
Mile 18: 9:30
Mile 19: 9:28
Mile 20: 8:59(YES!)
Mile 21: 9:38
Mile 22: 9:55 (had to finish up .6 in the parking lot)

Next weekend 14-15 miles......

2 comments:

Old Man said...

would have been nice to have last weeks weather for that run. you're crushing it.

On the Right Track said...

Wow...i am so impressed!!! I really can't imagine running so far right now in my life, so embrace it! you are going to totally rock this race...your splits are great and consistent...so i bet the vibe and feel of the moment will kick into gear and you will be on your game!! Can't wait to hear all about it! You must be so excited...

Thanks for your support btw...and yes...I did have a drink or two the night before that shot...and i will tomorrow night as well.

But join me on Tuesday...even if it is a cool glass of nuun in a nice glass ;)