Wednesday, June 19, 2013

20 something half marathons....

This Saturday I'm attempting my 20th or 21st half marathon in Franklin, TN or more specifically Lieper's Fork, TN.  Yall know where that is...it's where a good bit of country music singers have their mansions hidden.  Keith Urban & Nicole Kidman live out there.  Yes, it's very common to see a lot of celebrities around here.  Even former Olympic figure skater, Scott Hamilton lives in Franklin, TN.  I  just know one of these days I'm going to be running somewhere & a celebrity is going to zip past me & run me off the road.  My friend, Sharon, told me once that Wynona Judd nearly ran her off the road.  Speaking of being run off the road, as I was driving home the other day, I came up on an accident that involved a cyclist. I hate rubber necking so I didn't really get a look at the scene but I did see the twisted, wrecked bike.  My heart skipped a beat....I hope that cyclist was ok.

Anyway, I'm rambling today....probably because I rolled out of bed at 4:30am & was running by 4:43am per my garmin. (yawn) It was a decent run.  The purpose of it was to "run on tired legs".  My legs were a bit heavy half way through it since I had run a short tempo yesterday.  I had done my "Yoga for Runners" dvd yesterday afternoon & it always helps tremendously.  It had been well over a week or two since I had done the dvd & my body was screaming for it.  It targets the muscles we need to keep loose for better running.  I almost want to do it again friday afternoon if I can find the time.

This morning's run was 5.25 miles...not sure of the temperature but it felt like it was near 70 degrees.  I'm wearing my ventilator CW-X tights in the mornings.  These come to just above the knees.  I'm wearing them to help support the muscles...primarily hips, lower back, quads...  They feel pretty good at that time of the morning at that temperature but I can't see me wearing them on warmer afternoon runs at all.  My pace was 8:38 & I had one short 20 second walk break. I had two miles in the middle of it at 8:08 & 8:06 but they had some downhill to it. 

This afternoon I'm doing a slow 9:30-10:00 pace over the 5 mile hilly course with the club.  A few of my former "C25k'ers" are joining me, I think....
I'm going to take it easy since we have the half on Saturday morning.  My goal for the Franklin Half is to obviously do better than I did in Viola but I'm betting the best thing about this run will be the biscuits from Puckett's Grocery.  Quite a few NRC'ers will be running.  We'll have to take off for home by 10:00am since my work is renting out a theater or two for the employees to bring their kids to watch, "Monsters Unversity".  I love where I work...most of the time...just sayin'...

Other than the half marathon & the movie...we have nothing else planned.  I am going to "chill out" at home on a Saturday night for a change.

2 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Good luck on your half! I think I am just as excited about seeing Monster's U as my kiddos, lol. And, looking forward to Despicable Me 2 as well!

I Am Woody said...

I so admire your dedication!