So, I rolled out of bed at 4:30am, sipped some water & ate nothing...I got out the door by 4:40am.... Half way through my run this mistake came back to haunt me....
If you do not get enough carbs the night before, your morning run will suck. (at least mine do)
I know better than to start running on an empty stomach & of course I didn't bring my handheld water bottle either. I felt good the first 3.5 miles then my stomach cramped. (hungry & dehydrated) I stopped my garmin for probably a good 2-3 minutes to stretch it out. I then restarted the garmin & took off back home. I ended up with 5.62 miles at an 8:50 pace with the usual hills in our 'hood. I'll take it even if I did take a 2-3 minute break in the middle of it. I was shooting for 5.5-6 miles this morning so I did what I set out to do but I will have to make myself get my hand held bottle ready the night before & eat something quick when I do this again. I'm not running much in the mornings right now, except on the weekends. This will change once marathon training kicks in & believe it or not, I miss it BAD. I miss the schedule! I have to admit it was nice seeing day break come through this morning, too. I love early morning runs in the summer.
I noticed the NYRR is having a sale today on "National Running Day".
I replaced the long sleeve cotton finishers shirt & finishers cap of Joe's that we accidentally left in a coffee shop the day after we ran the 2011 NYC marathon.
That was his break through marathon. (My IT Band shut down during that race)
I spent $5 on the cap & $12 on the shirt. (I also bought him the adidas boost running shoes at Fleet Feet this week)
Happy Early Father Day!
1 comment:
Morning runs are where its at.
Think you teach your body not to need any carbs before your morning run. Dinner the night before is essential. But, always empty stomach and a cup a coffee before any run the last 20+ years. Poptart or something before anything over 13 miles.
Post a Comment