Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hellish run...

I don't really know what I was thinking but it sounded like a great idea at the time.
I wanted 6 miles last night & cut it short at 5.66 at around a 9:16 pace.
I ignored the heat index warning on the news as I left for the run with the "Wild Wing Group" in Cool Springs.  It was HOT & that particular course was hilly.  We can't get AWAY FROM HILLS!
Anyway, I enjoyed hanging onto Roy T. for the run, spending time with Jayson, Dar, Wayne, & Kate J..  It was nice to join up with a much smaller group of runners than we have on Wednesday nights right now.  We all sorta, kinda miss the good ole days when only 25-30 runners would show up on a Wednesday night & you didn't have to search the crowd to find someone you needed to see.
All that said, I'm enjoying the "Couch to 5k to 10k to 1/2 marathon" group that I'm running with on Wednesday nights.  I'm counting that as my slow, hill run for the week on the 5+ mile hilly route.  I don't hate it as much if I run it at 9:30-10:00 pace instead of 8:00-8:30-9:00 pace.  LOL! 
I'm NOT at a loss for hilly runs, obviously, that is for sure.  If I want to run faster on hills, there's PLENTY of choices during my week in my 'hood & in the morning.

The wild wing group is probably only 8-12 runners right now & slowly growing.
You check in on a lap top every week & I believe, if I heard correctly, that your 10th visit you get a free tech shirt.  You get your first beer free every week (I don't drink beer but Joe got his free beer) & all appetizers are half off.  I left our 'hood at 5:15pm & got over there at 5:40pm no problem.  They take off around 6:15-6:20pm after everyone is checked in on the laptop under the Sun, Sea, & Ski tent that's set up every week.  They, obviously, don't have all paces yet but there are 3-5 mile routes.  Obviously, there's lights you have to stop at but not that many that your pace drops that much.  I don't stop my garmin for lights or fuel refills. 

(To me....It defeats the purpose of the run to really KNOW your true pace....your heart "rests" for pete's sake!  For instance, "I ran an 8 minute pace for 5 miles."  me-"No, really, you didn't...you stopped your garmin for 4 minutes to tie your shoes, refill your bottle, & go to the bathroom." )

So, the advice I'm giving my former C25k'ers now....soon to be 1/2 marathoners......
First & foremost, you cannot ignore the 10% rule of increasing mileage from week to week or you run the risk of injuries.  Do not ramp up too quickly....etc...you cannot make up miles....
I'm drilling that in their heads!
Dr. J who is loved by so many doesn't need anymore business if I can help it.  ;-)

Happy Hump day!

No comments: