Friday, November 16, 2007

Forward Motion

I set out at about 8am this morning for a cold 17 miles. Well, about 2 miles into it I took off my gloves and carried them for another 2 miles. I decided by mile 4 that I wanted to take off my thin, long sleeve tech shirt from the '05 RC marathon. By mile 9ish, I was wishing I had worn shorts instead of tights. As I've said before in previous posts, I can sit ALL day long at my desk freezing to death but get me out running and my body warms itself tremendously. My cooling system doesn't work as well as my warming system. I hate summer weather running and it hates me.

My first mile was the figure 8 in my neighborhood and yes, it took a while for my legs to warm up and get moving. I refused to look at my garmin to see how slow I was going. I then headed out to Hwy 55 to Waggoner Park. I decided that even though I forgot my pepper spray I really wanted to run through the base. Less traffic, no stop n' go to wait to cross streets, etc... The sun came out and I started warming up. I probably lost 3+ mins trying to get myself situated all over again. I walked while trying to get my headset, shirt, and gloves intact.

I ran with my iPod shuffle. If I have to run ALL ALONE, I'm going to wear it. Believe me, I appreciate my Eminem, Madonna, Sheryl Crow, Aerosmith, Maroone 5, and Justin Timberlake on these long runs. When Bon Jovi's "She's a little runaway" came on, I got pumped. Ahh, the really young Lisa started picking up the pace to her old FAVORITE song from the days of cruising in my Volkswagon Rabbit (thanks Dad). I was jamming on my run in the base. I ran a 1/2 mile past the UTSI entrance. Some goodlooking guy in a honda was pulling out of the UTSI road. He briefly stopped to ask me how I was...I said, "I'm great!". It sort of scared me but oh well......he was cute! I took in a 6 ounce bottle of fruit punch gatorade and one enduralyte pill. I had a coupe of clif shot blocks too at various points. When I headed back towards the Golf course, I realized I had better head over to the Science Center or I'd be short. By the time I got around the dinosaur, I had less than 2 miles left. (perfect!) When I got to the drive way, my garmin read 17.16 in 3:01:09. I know I would have been well under 3 hrs if I had not had to wrestle with my clothes and headset but I got it in and that's that.

I need a shower and a good stretch. This is my last LONG run before RC. I'm doing 13 miles next Wed morning before I get ready and head for the airport. It will be downhill from there. As for my 8th marathon, I just want it overwith at this point. Then it will be a time for healing and some serious cross training. My goals for '08.

1. Get my hips healed
2. Get faster on my shorter runs/races
3. TRY to get into NYC marathon
4. Travel
5. Save, Save, Save more money
6. Make the most of every moment and just have fun
7. Make new running buddies
8. Figure out how to wear my garmin's heart rate monitor
9. Eat better
10. and finally......treat myself to spa treatments, facials, peels, etc.... :) I LOVE this goal!

2 comments:

Marathon Maritza said...

whoo-hoo on #3! i might sign up for the lottery again...I'm itching to run it again already!!!

Have a great weekend!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job on the run...despite all the hip pain you've had. You are tough! Why don't you get a bike? It's great cross training, and a lot of fun. Plus, you could do the Staggerwing next year! Or you could also come swim with us here in Manchester some. If you're interested let me know I'll let you know when we are going. Mike comes and swims with us a lot. Looking forward to Rocket City!!