Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"Moon" over THS

Have you ever had the feeling that if you didn't throw up or go to the bathroom that you were just going to die? During a 6.52 run (if you call it running) last night around the parking lots of THS, I felt that way at the 3.5 mile. You locals will know exactly where I'm talking about. It was near the greenway entrance off Jackson where the little bridge is located in the wooded area. I wasn't running the greenway in the dark or the bridge but I ended up gaging over there & I tried to go to the bathroom over there where nobody could see me. I simply felt that BAD!!! I just wanted relief from the drainage that was going into my throat & into my stomach. The closest bathrooms are on the other side of the school behind the bleachers & there's never a guarantee that they are ever open. (Believe me I know this!)

From experience, I know that this is a sign of an early sinus infection. Once this junk starts going backwards, it makes me sick to my stomach & weak. This explains the weakness I felt yesterday morning. So, as soon as my Dr opens his doors, I'm calling for an appt. My nasal spray he prescribed last year about this time is about to run out anyway. I got a sinus infection last year the week before the Fall Creek Falls race & got on 2 antibiotics 2 days before the race. I did it anyway & felt like I ran in a fog the whole time. My time was ok but nothing to brag about that's for sure. I remember sleeping in the back seat of Carla's car on the way back. I'm just not taking any chances with Mercedes just over 3 wks away.

Why did I finish my run last night? Stubborn, Stupidity, & knowing that the weather will be worse tonight. Rain late afternoon & supposedly some sleet coming in overnight. Not sure how much time I lost mooning THS & gaging there in front of McDonalds, but my pace was well under 10 mins, which surprised me. I figured that with this set back, I probably lost a good 40-50 secs, maybe. I was not about to turn the light on my Garmin so I could track it! BTW, why does McDonald's french fries grease smell so strong on cold winter nights? Made me want to gag even more every time I ran that parking lot. GROSS! I went to the gym & made a bee line for the bathroom. Still feeling like I needed to throw up for relief, I tried again. Still nothing but water & a little drainage. I stretched my legs & headed home to zone out in front of the TV.

It's calling for the high to reach only 30 degrees Sat. I've started a marathon before in 18 degrees but 4-5 hrs later is was near 55. I'm going on how I feel & what I think is comfortable Sat. It's not like I have any high expectations for Mercedes anyway. Just finish, get the medal, & come home. :) I'm thinking Monday may work better for a long run or I'll break it up into 3 med-long runs with lots of hills. At least Sunday & Monday's temps look better. Birmingham could be bone chilling cold or 95% humidity & 65 degrees at the start. Like I've heard so many say, "I'll run the race that God wants me to do under the conditions he gives me." Maybe God will send that fluffy, white dog down there to pace me. :)

Depending on a lot of things, I may just try some treadmill speedwork tonight.
The rest of the week is going to be by the seat of my pants. I do know one thing, I'm going to find some time to have some fun this weekend. Seeing a movie sounds so appealing to me right now. Crawling under a comforter seems appealing. Antibiotics sound REAL appealing.

2 comments:

Junie B said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! Now i will read some of yours!!

Yes, i am trying for NYC again this year. I didnt get picked last year.

Holly Jane said...

Hope you are feeling better! Get you some meds and rest up!!!