Monday, March 10, 2008

Something about Nothing

Monday workout:

I got in only 4.5 miles but I felt like I was fighting with someone the entire way. Headwinds! It felt like a storm was brewing. My shins spoke to me, "Don't make us get on a treadmill tonight, Lisa!" I listened to them but I thought Dorothy was going to go flying off over Arnold Air Force base. I parked at Waggoner Park & took off for the base Golf course area thinking I'd go there & turn around. I decided to head over to HOSC & head down 55 back to Waggoner. It was that stretch where I started my fight with the wind. Needless to say, it was only a 9:30 pace but I worked up a good little sweat. I could only stand 45 mins on the elliptical before I noticed how tired I was..."time change!" I had called Wayne to run but he was stuck in traffic trying to get home. There was an accident somewhere near Murfreesboro. As I ran I thought to myself of how I really don't like the idea of commuting, especially since the cost of gas is biting into our budgets big time. I don't let my Civic get bone dry but I know it's taking way more than it did 2 yrs ago to fill up. OUCH! I do thank God that I had enough sense to buy it when the Accord bit the dust that fateful pre-Thanksgiving morning in '02. I don't let the price of gas stop me from doing what I want but commuting to a job an hour away would kill me right now.

Childhood memory:

As I passed the Armory, I thought of Dad & all his years there, as a recruiter & then many years as Shop Chief over the motor pool. I hate the fact that he lost his hearing in one ear because of a deployment that didn't happen for him in '03. He got on a plane to head to Corpus Christi to ride a boat with the equipment to Iraq. No big deal if you don't have Pneumonia. (My TX sister drove over from San Antonio & raised HELL in the hospital on dad's behalf.) Needless to say if you get on a plane with that much infection in your body, you might just blow out an ear drum. He did not go to Iraq at least. This fact has not stopped him from his hobby (drag boat racing). Can't tell an old dog not to do his old tricks. :P I smiled as I as passed the tank that I used to crawl on as a kid. (The old "M.A.S.H" tank)

Socializing @ the gym:

I headed to the gym where I talked to Terri. My new single girlfriend who I'm going to starting hanging out with if we can ever get our schedules to jive. She's remodeling her house. I'm trying to play matchmaker for her & a guy or two that I know. :)

Bobby & Whitney:

I jumped on the elliptical only to be bored by a biography on Whitney Houston & Bobby Brown. My only warm fuzzy thoughts for those two come from my college years & years in Germany. I remember when Whitney did a concert at Murphy center. Pretty exciting....no parking spaces for miles, including Bell Aire Apts where I lived with my roomie, Joanie. (Someone else I need to play matchmaker...) Bobby Brown came out with "My Perogative" around the time I ran off to Germany with my GI husband. We were entertained in the clubs on the weekends watching the Germans dance & mouth that song to death. (Good Times!) The fact that those two have now divorced doesn't not suprise me. They were toxic for each other. I pray their daughter doesn't follow their addictive foot steps. Supposedly, she can sing like Whitney. :)

A lot about nothing:
(Much like this post!)
I'm pretty excited about Jerry Seinfeld coming to TPAC. I may try to get tickets if they aren't horribly expensive. :)

This week seems like Spring to me. No crazy snow & freezing temps on the horizon this week anyway.

Maybe tomorrow will be a calmer run...maybe Wayne & I will hit the roads.

Happy Monday!

No comments: