Sunday, April 27, 2008

Daughtry/Bon Jovi Rocked, Hotel was great, met a Legend, race morning chaos, my time sucked, but it was FUN!!!




No need for an iPod Sat morning. I still had "Bad Medicine", "Wanted Dead or Alive", & every other song Bon Jovi has ever done in my head! My ears were ringing as we left the Sommet Center Thursday night. We jumped up & down, screamed, & at one point I almost jumped on the railing in front of us. We had awesome seats!
We ate at the Sport bar across the street from the Sommet & then hung out at the Hilton for a short time taking note of all the women in glittery clothes. Neither one of us could bring ourselves to wear the beaded shirts. ha!
Our hotel room was EXACTLY what I was told it would be...2 King beds, one rollaway "couch", microwave, & frig.
I don't know what we would have done if we had not been right there across the street from the shuttles.



This years race was chaos at the start. Once on the shuttle, we were dropped on the very edge of Centennial, & we waited in line for a portapottie for probably 35-40 mins. It was insane. I think the race is just almost too big now. We brought our shoes/socks in plastic bags. I had old running shoes in the trunk that we threw away. To me the rain was not that bad, nowhere near as annoying as Tom King race day. It definitely seemed to clear the air for me to breathe. My only struggle was the hills. I probably walked/shuffled 3-4 of them for my slowest half yet but I'm not complaining. I could breathe for the most part. My speed on hills is definitely lacking for sure! Time to start working HARD especially if I change my mind about Moon Pie. By mile 9, I started fading fast & by mile 10 both 2 hr pacers past me like I was standing still. ha! I felt like I drug myself in the last 2 miles of the race. I had absolutely no kick left for the final stretch but at least I wasn't wiping crap off my face like the last 3-4 races I've done this year. Yippee! It took FOREVER to get through the food shoot. I had to wait in line to get my chip cut off, which was a first for me at this race. I guess I didn't realize just how crowded the 1/2 really is every year.... It took a while to even get out of the post race area & then it took another 15 min for me to find the car. By the time I got to the bridge, more than likely everyone had already past that I knew....I only saw Wayne & then later Pam. I'm so proud of both her & Patti, considering they both were sick with "everything" this winter & barely trained. Neither one of them had done a jog/walk more than 7-8 miles & I knew the hills would be a challenge for them.


Pam at finish (her 1st 1/2)

More pics to come when everything's downloaded...but I have to say, the highlight of the weekend along with the concert was meeting a running legend. What a doll!

Before I forget, congrats to everyone who did well & met their goals Sat morning. Holly, for a first marathon, you did GREAT! Michele got her monkey off her back! Saw Lana, Jill, Wayne, Michele, & Old Man (saw you on the course) glad you guys had good races. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont see where you posted your time!!!

great going!

stupid hills!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I was there after your awesome description! I'm so glad you had a blast.

Awesome job to Pam for her first 1/2! You go girl!