Thursday, October 9, 2008

Check Lists

I keep a mental check list of things that I need to do.
I keep a mental check list of things I know I absolutely need to do.
I keep a mental check list of things that I'd like to do.

Of course I have to prioritize & many times I find that I plan too much & reach a state of exhaustion. For example, I will run poorly because I've got too much going on which leads to not enough rest. Then injuries happen, etc... You get the picture. I'm rarely sick except for the sinus issues & an occasional migraine. I'm sure they're related somehow but a big part of it is hormones. I do feel fortunate though, healthwise. After not working out much at all the last week, I weighed last night. No change in weight! Whew! Not that I was stressing over it but that's been my main goal since I stopped running June 3rd because of the fracture. I refused to gain weight. When you go from burning on average 600-800 calories a day to who knows how many, it does something to you mentally not just physically. I'm so grateful for the spin classes. The smartest thing I've done physically all year is join the Rec Ctr. I may even have a whole new set of folks to run/ride with in the future. The Thurs morning spin instructor asked me for my cell this morning so she could call me whenever they get a group ride up sometime. :) That will definitely be something worth putting on my "I'd like to do list."

Under the "absolutely need to do":
I have made up my mind that until the economy improves, I'm not planning a whole lot of expensive trips anytime soon. I cracked open my 401k paperwork recently & I almost had a stroke! For 2009, I am going to register for the NYC marathon again. Surely to goodness the stress fracture will be 100% before registration ends in May. If I am healthy & I get in, that will be my BIG trip of '09 for sure. If I go anywhere else, I will have to put my GPS system to good use in the car even though I'm not a fan of driving long distances. I've got an open invitation to Boston, MA to visit with a very old friend, Brian. Again, something else for the "I'd like to do list." At age 41, knowing that what little I do have for my retirement is a joke, I've got to start doing something else. I'm tempted to talk to a financial advisor. 2009 is going to be the year that I start taking my future seriously (jobwise & investment wise). It's not like I'm married or have any children that will take me in during my old age. As a matter of fact, Elaine, Patti, & I have a plan in place to take care of each other when we're all retired. We all may move into Elaine's cabin in Lynchburg! ha! If one of us falls in the bathtub, (she's has 3-4 bathrooms!), at least someone will be there to get the other up. Seriously, I'm thinking like this at age 41. Who's going to pick me up when/if I fall & break my hip at age 80ish? My great grandmother fell off a chair in her kitchen in her middle 80's while cleaning a light fixture over her kitchen table. She broke her hip & never walked again. She lived another 2-4 yrs but never returned to her feet to clean anything again. She had great grand daddy & everyone else to help her but it made me sad even as a teenager to see her go down like that knowing how active she had been prior to the fall.

My point is....this is my line of thinking now in my 40's. Otherwise, life is good right now. No major complaints about anything. I have my "check lists" in place & I'm busy as heck right now. I still have tons of things to put away at the house this weekend but I will make time for some fun. :)

PS.
(FYI, there's a stomach virus going around! Beware!)

4 comments:

Jill Ann said...

oh, we're so alike. I looked at my IRA/investments today too...and I've lost 20k since this last week. Lovely. I on the other hand, hope not to be alive at age 80. You are so right about not having anyone to take care of us. Although, if Joe outlives me...I may be ok on that. Maybe I can convince him to take care of all us old ladies? I know if I outlive him, I will need to see if the Lynchburg house has room for one more. Grace and Anna have already told me, they will NOT take care of me. !!!

On a happier note, if we exercise and eat right, maybe we can be urban cougars at 80. ha ha ha ha.

There is still room in the world for a female version of Hef...right?

Lisa said...

Oh yeah, in the middle of Lynchburg TN there will be a cabin full of little old ladies. The one with the best eye sight can drive us to our dr's appts.

If my genetics holds out, I may see 90+ yrs, who knows... I just hope I'm not the last little old lady left standing. I pray that we don't all fall at the same time, too.

I have this vision of Avery telling his kids, "Aunt Lisa used to run until she cracked every bone in her body. Then she short circuited her bone growth stimulator & got electrocuted" ha!

ChuckEastNashville said...

Although my retirement values went down, I don't lose any money until sell or or disbursement. I am fairly certain market will rebound over next 25 years.

Memo to self: stay away from Lynchburg in 30 or so years. Ha ha.

This was my year not to travel. I am saving for Boston 2009 (got my acceptance confirmation email this week).

Lisa said...

Maybe we can all get post retirement jobs as tour guides at Jack Daniels.

You mean you'll still be alive in 25 yrs, Chuck? :P