Sat will be the first time I've NOT run the CMM full since '04. When I finished last year in the heat, with a sick stomach, & later a massive migraine, I said, "No more CMM fulls for me." I love the race itself, but the journey to get there was more fun than the actual race for me last year. I believe the main problem is the timing of the race. (& that dang accelerade!) If it were in early April, we might stand a better chance at guessing the weather even 2 days out.
When I did the 1/2 in '04, I had absolutely no expectations whatsoever, (2:01:46). When I did the Full for the first time in '05, no expectations, (4:23:46). '06 was different, I had been running lots of long hills, but only one 18 mile training run, (4:17:11). In the last 4-6 months, I've been asking myself, "Where is that woman that did somewhat respectable times without really following any kind of plan at all?" I really think that for some of us, a break is truly needed or we burn out, injuries occur & reoccur. This is why I know that this year I will only do ONE Full (if I get into it!). Otherwise, '08 will be known as the "halfer" year for me. (and the Phlegm year, too!)
I've not had much enjoyment running this year so far, but I keep banging my head/sinuses against the wall & I keep going. It's an addiction like no other...the need to move, to be in motion, to just be....whether it's in my neighborhood, near the middle school I actually attended, on base in the woods, another runner's neighborhood, Tim's Ford state park, or downtown Nashville in a strider's training run....it's fun! It's the scenery, ability to breathe (sometimes!!), to work up a good sweat, solving problems, releasing the day's stress, & a way to escape reality for most of us. I love it but it doesn't love me sometimes & I'm ok with that. :)
I'm saying a prayer for all of us Sat morning. Some of us will be out there for the first time. To some of us, it will be just the same old familiar course, just much more crowded than normal. Some of us will get new PRs, some will just finish, but I hope that all of us have a great time, wind, rain, heat, etc... We are all in this together & to everyone I know running, Godspeed!
3 comments:
Great Post...After last year's race, I too said no more CMM Fulls. I didn't listen...
Oh, after missing 2002 to 2006 - I said CMM full every YEAR! (Yes, I am insane.) Seriously, cannot wait to see you and please include a little "let the weather be nice and dry" in that prayer
P L E A S E.....
PS...Yea for 5/13 appt!
Jill
I may watch the kids marathon, too, Jill. Maybe I'll see ya there.
If not, I'll be looking for all of you guys around mile 19ish Sat. :)
Lisa
Post a Comment