Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bye, bye Fisher…

So the low down is not only is VY going to be let go (which is a good thing) but Fisher’s decided to leave on his own accord. Rumor has it that what broke the camels back was he wanted to hire his son & Adams doesn’t allow hiring of family members like that. (I don’t blame him!) If in fact that’s the case, Fisher’s son can go out into the world like everyone else & compete for a job like everyone else. I’m all for doing what you can for your kids but from my sideline view, that’s what’s wrong with this world. We’re not allowing our kids get out there, fail, compete, & earn their way in the world. It all starts at a very young age, of course…teaching common courtesy, self reliance, independence, empathy, etc… (I did listen well when I took all those child development courses at MTSU years ago, I promise…ha!)

Anyway, I’m not beating this dead horse like the media is….to each his own, it’s time for many changes, apparently. Love him or hate him, I’ll miss seeing Fisher on the sidelines. I’ve never been a fan of his mumbling in interviews & frankly there have been times where I had a hard time understanding him but he’s been the “fixture” for roughly 13 yrs here. I've spent a lot of time in & around LP Field & I have a funny Fisher story. You see, I used to get there early enough to see him finish up his pregame run. (You know most athletes/coaches have a routine they follow pretty strictly.) Fisher ran before each game. Around 9:15am – ish you could usually spot him & his tanned, toned, short legs running next to the river. He would run straight into the ramp area. (If you’ve ever done the Tom King race, YES, that’s the ramp I’m talking about.) Anyway, my buddy, Coach Lester didn’t believe me when I told him this fact so he walked over with me to see if I was pulling his leg. Low & behold here comes Fisher. Lester yells out, “Have a good game, coach!” I was so embarrassed. I had never spoken to Fisher. I always left him alone in his pregame thoughts. LOL!

Fisher actually did the CMM Full at a respectable 4:09 in 2002, I believe...He’s been in Runner’s World (2006 issue) showcasing Percy Warner park as his favorite place to run.  He loves trail running & I hope with his departure as the longest tenured NFL coach that he has more time for that. How many NFL coaches have completed a marathon (or run at all for that matter)?

I picture Joe googling this as soon as he reads it! Ha!

Joe is out doing approximately 16 miles this morning & I'm about to head out to test the running on the toe. It's been one month & two days since surgery to flatten it. I'm not even going to try to squeeze it into bike shoes or compression socks. I am going out on this beautiful, sunny Saturday to see how it fairs my pounding on it for 3+ miles. The elliptical has fired up the IT Band issues again so I'm back to the IT Band exercises faithfully. More yoga, More pilates...what can I say, I'm totally addicted to it. I recently read that yoga/pilates can help lower your blood pressure. (not that I need mine any lower!) 

We're going to the Vandy - Arkansas basketball game at Memorial gym later today. I've never been inside Memorial gym so this will be interesting. I have read that it's quite unique.  Happy Saturday & Go Vandy!

No comments: