Marathon 9:
This year is the year, FINALLY.
I put my name in the New York City Marathon lottery for 3 years in a row & got denied all 3X. This year they have to let me in because on the 4th year, you are “guaranteed” an entry. (Joe got in his 1st try & I’ll never let him live that down. Ha!) Unfortunately, since we wanted to do this one together, he had to take 2 deferments. UNFORTUNATELY, NYRR gets to keep your $$$ if you defer to the next year. Needless to say, this is an expensive marathon for us but that should tell you just how bad I want to run it. I didn’t want anyone handing me an entry & I didn’t have time to deal with raising $$$ to run. (Probably a good thing it took this long to get in since I had the tibia fracture FOREVER!) So this one’s for ME! God willing I don’t get injured this summer/early fall. I did find out through reading Meb’s book that the $$$ from the NYRR goes into supporting the Olympians & so much more… That fact actually made me feel a little better about it. So, we’re registered & we have most of the trip already paid for with some of Joe’s travel points. Number 9 will be the one I’ve wanted for 4 yrs. Most people want Boston, yes, I want Boston, too. With the possibility of the qualifications being lowered, I may not qualify until I’m REALLY on social security or nearly dead. My fastest time is only 4:17 and that was 4 years ago. Wow, how time has flown! As far as goals for #9, I don’t have any at the moment. I’ll just have to see how the summer running goes. I see a lot of early morning runs to avoid the worst of the TN heat/humidity. That’s my goal! Goal Number 1: Get up early to run before work!
This week has been all about getting up EARLY for exercise. (ie. elliptical at Harvey’s) I still do something in the afternoons even if it’s only for 30 minutes. That’s what’s so great about the Jillian Michael’s dvds…30 mins is all you need! No excuses!!!!
Toe:
No boot on Thursday morning! Yippee!
Still a little tender but looking good.
Will try my best to get it into a running shoe this weekend!
Books:
“The Lore of Running":
It’s like reading an anatomy & physiology text book so it will be slow going for me.
I do understand what I’m reading more when Noakes provides examples that make sense to me. (So far he’s used quite a few animals in explanations! Ha!) I’ve always known I’m a slow twitch fiber kinda gal. Nobody will ever accuse me of being a sprinter! What I’ve read sure does confirm that fact.
Another interesting point is that you may be an economical runner on flats but totally wasteful in your running technique going uphill/downhill or vice versa.
I’ve also learned that having a high V02 max is not necessarily an indication of performance. It could mean that you’re running economy is “off” if your V02 is higher than others but you run slower and/or the same speed as others. Two runners who can run the SAME distance at the SAME speed who have different V02 max scores is an example. The one with the lower V02 score is running more efficiently than the one with the higher V02. As I understand it, there are elites who have low V02 scores who are able to run just as fast/faster than elites with much higher V02 scores. Genetics does play a part in how high your V02 is because as explained in the book, you can only raise it by 5-15% with adequate training. It sure doesn’t hurt to have a high score but, again, studies have shown that even some elite athletes with lower scores have faster times than some elites with higher scores. Interesting…. I’m getting my V02, metabolism, & body fat tested when I can get an appt time to jive with my schedule. (Won 2 gift certificates for all 3 tests like over a year ago for $30 for both! They are supposedly worth $200 each for 3 tests) Joe got all his done recently. Supposedly, his V02 is in the excellent range for even a 29 yr old. You think I’m going to listen to his excuses when he also has a neutral foot strike, too? Nope!
Freebies:
Joe & I both got 2 Preds tickets each today for free!
Apparently, if you go test drive a Toyota, they'll give you a certificate for 2 free tickets to any of the Predators games over the next 2 months. Joe has already redeemed his certificate for the Feb 12th game. (cheap early Valentine's day for us!) They gave him club level at the arena. Cool! He's going to redeem my certificate on Monday for a March game. Sweet!
1 comment:
I thought I was your Love Potion #9 - LOL!
Nope - no excuses for me - at least not many. Decent VO2 max. I just hope it's like 30 degrees when NYC starts! A year ago you wouldn't have imagined me saying that and now anything over 45 is warm!!!
Post a Comment