For the 1st time in years, I finally decided that it was time to look at bikes. I've been intimidated by them over the years. The last time I was on a bike, I was on a borrowed bike in Knoxville riding with a long forgotten boyfriend. Knoxville is hilly & the ride was hell since the bike didn't fit me. I had no endurance back then anyway. That was 2001.
Fast forward to yesterday, after spin class & 30+ mins of pilates, I left town for shopping, "Momma Mia" & bike browsing. "Momma Mia" didn't happen. (SOLD OUT AGAIN)
Jill took me to various places in the Nashville area.
As far as customer service, Acme, was the best!
Will E. talked to me extensively about what they had, what services they offer, & what my fit might be...I had no idea that it would take an hour to get fitted for a bike & I would need an appointment. I have to admit, Treks & Fujis are the only brands that are catching my eye. It's like looking at cars. I knew when I saw my honda that it was what I wanted, hands down. At the risk of making a girly comment, the Fujis are really good looking bikes. I sat on two of them & I liked the fit. Cumberland Transit had the best prices so I have not ruled them out. I am not going to bother with the other places. One thing's for sure, what I measure for one brand of bike may not be what I actually measure for a different brand. It's like buying clothes. :P I am excited. I know what I want now I just have to justify spending the money & finding the time to get fitted when the bike shops are open.
1. How much will I ride it?
2. How much carbon do I want?
3. How much money should I spend?
4. Pedals?
5. Where can I find a beginner's class?
I'm not looking to do triathlons. (No desire) What I want to do is the fun, noncompetitive charity rides. I want to use it for cross training. I live too far from work to ride it to work, plus I'd have to change clothes for work once I rode it in...considering I'm usually at work at 7:00-7:30am, that's just not going to happen. I don't feel so bike illiterate anymore, thanks Jill.
I devoured a lot of mexican at dinner, plus I had a piece of cheese pizza at lunch at Hickory Hollow so my eating yesterday was less than stellar. I didn't drink enough water so today, it's all about the water, some light weights, & the pool.
As far as shopping, I didn't do much damage. I hit the local mall friday after work for some tax free shopping. (work clothes & I replaced the black dress shoes that I threw away last week.)
I got a pair of tri shorts for spinning at Cumberland Transit. My underarmour short running tights work great but I needed a 2nd pair of shorts for class. (Doing laundry almost every night drives me nuts.) I found a great deal on Teva flip flops & I got a new Titans tank top for myself, an official Giants Super Bowl t-shirt, & got the Texas nephews "Tennessee Basketball" t-shirts dirt cheap at Sport Seasons. Their dad will appreciate it since he's a FL fan. :P
Next weekend: 1st Titans Preseason game against the Rams: I wonder if I can get Drew Bennett to sign his pants. :P
A full day white water rafting trip may be in the planning stages for August. So much of summer still left & I absolutely hate it when it's this hot outside.
Next weekend is the start of the Beijing Olympics. I came to a dead stop in the magazine aisle of Publix when I saw the latest issue of Mens Journal with Michael Phelps on it. He's more mature than he was in Athens, broader shoulders, stronger....I cannot wait to watch him compete. :)
3 comments:
1. How much will I ride it?
Summer's almost over, may until November?
2. How much carbon do I want?
Over rated. Rode for years without it.
3. How much money should I spend?
$600 or so, entry level fitted bike from a bike shop.
4. Pedals?
Personal preference. I like speedplay, because of the float. Started out with SPD's with zero float.
5. Where can I find a beginner's class?
Group rides or bike clubs, or tag around with a fellow biker. say Jill.
I'll have to google "speedplay".
My biggest worry is falling, getting injured, etc...
Post a Comment