Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Still glued to the Oly!

"As he came off the pool deck, Phelps disclosed that his goggles had filled with water, adding, "I could not believe how close to me those guys were."
"I can't see anything," Phelps said to his coach, Bob Bowman.
Later, after the relay, Phelps admitted he was bothered with the goggle problem even though he broke his own world mark.
"As soon as I dove in, they filled up," he said. "I was more or less trying to count my strokes, hoping I'd be dead on at the turns," he said. "I'm disappointed because I know I can go faster, but there was nothing I could do. I handled it the best way I could
." from the Beijing website.

I sure hope the goggles get fixed for the rest of his races. No wonder he seemed disoriented when he finished! I could not hang long enough to watch the U.S. womens gymnastics team get the Silver. Considering all the injuries & bad falls, it seems to me that both U.S. teams (Men-Bronze) did very well. Now they're getting ready for the "all around" competition. Go Shawn Johnson!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i decided to go to bed last night after the vault was over for the girls...i was disappointed this morning to find out they got Silver, but honestly...I wasnt surprised.

I hope that SJ can bring home a Gold in the individual category somehow. I think she is just adorable!!

Jill Ann said...

Thank GOD Phelps has good eye sight...or no contacts. Can you imagine swimming w/o seeing...OMG!